There are many capable contractors based in North Alabama. One unique quality of our team is our relationships. We have fostered many strong relationships through hard work and honest practice. Many of our return clients have been with us from the origination of our company.
Pearce has extensive experience in producing quality construction, on a congested site, while maintaining normal operations. These projects with congested sites have been constructed under traditional lump sum contracts as well as under cost plus contracts (with or without a GMP.) Many have been built on a fast track basis and many have been built as a partner in a design/build team.
One area in which Pearce Construction Company, Inc. provides real strength for project owners is our team. Pearce is a “local contractor”. We work in north Alabama primarily in the Huntsville, Madison and Decatur area. By specializing in this area, we can provide superior quality and cost control. With our projects close at hand, the Company’s principals are able to stay more actively involved in project management. They can offer first hand help and advice to the project management team. If necessary, they are able to visit projects several times a day. Being in this market for over 30 years, we have developed relationships with most all of the major subcontractors in this market. We maintain a data base of several hundred subcontractors and suppliers we call upon when bidding work. Prior to soliciting sub-contractor bids, we will review, in as much detail as desired by the Owner and Architect, our list of potential bidders and eliminate or add any bidders recommended by either party. Once bids are received and the bids are reviewed for a complete scope of work, we will present them to the Owner and Architect for final approval before award.
Pearce Construction has had many opportunities to implement cost control and cost reduction methods for numerous clients as a part of the pre-construction services it performed for these clients.
Cost Control, Cost Reduction, and Value Engineering provide an avenue to provide essential functions at a lower total cost. Value = Function or performance / Cost. Value may also be accomplished by improving function without added cost. Many components can impact Value when referring to Cost Control, Reduction, or Value Engineering, the most common are 1-First costs (capital costs), 2-Life-Cycle Cost, 3-Design-Time, 4-Maintainability 5-Decision Time and 6-Long Range Planning. These decisions must be made as a team during design in order to maximize value. This is why it is so critical for begin this process as early as possible.
A recent example of this process was the work that we did on the new McNair/Jemison school. The project was around $65 million in construction cost and the program had grown to the point that the owner (Huntsville City Schools) needed to find areas in the construction to save money. Pearce Construction Company was hired to perform a series of progressive cost evaluations along with cost management/value engineering recommendations. Pearce compiled the data and options but the process took place over the entire design of the project. This process involved the entire design team, the owner, the specialty consultants, and Pearce Construction Company. In the end, when bids were opened, the low bid was within less than 1% of the projected construction cost.
There are several general areas that we can be of significant benefit.
First is selection of alternative design schemes. Evaluation of the initial costs of alternative systems, along with their impact (if any) on construction schedule, product life cycle, and potential operating costs allow the design team and owner to make informed decisions.
Second is cost control and value engineering. During the budgeting process as design progresses, we watch for areas where costs are exceeding what our historical cost data suggest are typical. This allows review of these areas to determine the driver of the costs and, when necessary, changes to the design to mitigate the above average costs.
Third is evaluation of phasing if required. At times, the program requirements envisioned may exceed the funds currently available to the project. We work with the Owner and Design Team to help develop an economical and feasible project phasing. The initial construction needs to match a logical phasing of the Owner’s program. At the same time, the phasing should be evaluated to eliminate, or at least minimize cost premiums resulting from future phases and ensure the future phases are feasible once the original construction is completed.
Again, these services are only a part of the pre-construction services we offer. A more complete outline of our pre-construction services is included and we would welcome an opportunity to review them in detail.
- Value Engineering
- Bid Package Preparation
- Permits and Inspections
- Project Management
- Budget Management
- Supervision, Management, Scheduling of Trades
- Quality Control
- Safety Management
- Submittal and Shop Drawings Management.
- Coordination of Punchlist Completion
- Close-out & Warranty
Construction Management – At risk or Not at risk
- Consultation During Project Development
- Project Construction Budget
- Cost Management
- Constructability Reviews
- Subcontractor Prequalification
- Coordination of Contract Documents
- On-Site Management and Coordination
- Quality Control
- Safety Management
- Budget Control
- Change Order Management
- Owner Training
- Final Billings and Close-Out
- Prec onstruction coordination, communication and problem solving
- Preconstruction/design phase schedule development and monitoring
- Building Envelope design/review
- Hazardous material abatement
- Site selection / feasibility
- Project feasibility review and construction market analysis
- Estimate preparation at design milestones
- Cost Management analysis, comparative studies and systems alternatives evaluation
- Cost control – Design revision tracking and budget validation between milestone estimates
- Design Management – Technical, constructability and quality control reviews of project documents
- Building Information Modeling (BIM) services.
- Preliminary construction schedule development and updates
- Logistical planning, including site utilization management, staging, phasing coordination
- Bid packaging/contracting strategy and scope of work coordination
- Subcontractor solicitation and prequalification
- Pre-bid conference and site visit coordination
- Bid analysis evaluation and recommendations
- Procurement planning including long lead item and early release package coordination
- Owner furnished equipment review, coordination and scheduling assistance Cash flow analysis/Project billing projections
- Document Management – E-builder / F1 Sync
- On-Screen Take-off / Planswift
- Autodesk Revit Architecture
- Autodesk CAD
- Autodesk Navisworks (TBD)
- Microsoft Project
Building Information Services
LEED Certified Construction
Integrated Project Delivery
- Early and dependable guaranteed maximum price (GMP)
- No Change orders
- Greater efficiency resulting in lower costs and faster schedule
- Performance based incentives that improve the team’s performance and project quality